With the drop of our Australian made leather now available we thought we should talk about Leather again to help you make powerful choices in the items that you choose to buy.
Leather has always been a popular textile.
From the animal hides used by early humans to a classic biker jacket - leather is a lasting icon of style and comfort. Don't Do Pretty loves leather. We love its versatility and striking look. We use 100% genuine European leather in our production. Why - when faux leather is so much more affordable and considered less controversial, why would we use real leather?
Well, we’ve done our research and we believe we’re making the most ethical choices we can. But, don't take our word for it - we want you to make your own decisions about what you wear, what you buy and why. These decisions shouldn’t be influenced by marketing, misconceptions or politics. They should be influenced by education and personal preference.
There are a number of benefits to using man-made leather. Primarily, it avoids using animal products; this is often considered to be the ethical choice for many. It is also an affordable alternative which is growing in popularity in both designer and high-street fashion.
- Fake leather is much cheaper than the real deal
- There are a wide variety of colours available
- Fake leather is malleable, making it easy to sew
- There are some great new developments in faux bromeliad and mushroom leather (Yes, we are watching these products develop)
- Faux leather doesn’t last
- Like all polyester products, fake leather is a petroleum based product, making it detrimental to the environment to produce (and waste management processes)
- It doesn't break down; it isn't a sustainable product
- Because it is inexpensive, people often throw it away contributing to the waste problems of fast fashion
Ever since humans began wearing clothes, animal hides have provided a source of warmth. Leather is still a practical choice for garments and high-quality leather is both long lasting and a statement of style.
- Real leather lasts. (One of our leather skirts may last a hundred years - imagine your great granddaughter wearing your beloved Don't Do Pretty leather skirt!)
- Less people throw out real leather - it is usually kept for decades or given to charity shops for the next owner; minimising waste
- Leather retains warmth and is water-resistant, making it long lasting
- Quality leather wears over time, developing individual characteristics as it is worn
- Sourced from the right suppliers, waste management processes are in place to minimise environmental impacts (such as toxins in water ways) during tanning.
- Leather uses animals which is a controversial source
- Genuine leather is more expensive
- Real leather can be heavy which does make it warm but is not practical for all environments and seasons
Leather is a foundational textile in the fashion industry. Warm, practical and beautiful - at Don't Do Pretty we love our leather items. We choose to use genuine leather because we believe that prioritising sustainable and high-quality material is the most ethical decision for us. Buy Less, Make it Last. But, we believe in freedom of choice. We want you to make your own decision about the textiles you purchase. Educate yourself and decide what is right for you.